Thursday, January 1, 2009

Fundamentalism is fundamentalism, no matter what 'ism' you follow.

Atheist Wants 'God' Out Of Inauguration
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Exactly three weeks before Barack Obama is sworn in as president, a local man is trying to make sure God is not included in the inauguration.

Michael Newdow, a self-proclaimed atheist, is most known for his fight to change the Pledge of Allegiance to remove the phrase "under God."

On Tuesday, Newdow and 17 other plaintiffs filed a lawsuit in federal court in Washington, D.C. The lawsuit says that a pastor should not be allowed to say prayers at Obama's swearing-in ceremony and the chief justice of the Supreme Court should not be allowed to end the oath of office with "So help me God."

My personal opinion on this, if it was Newdow being sworn in, he would have a say in what oath of office he would take. Since it's not him, or the other like-minded people, being sworn in, I don't think he has any right to dictate to P.E. Obama what he says for his swearing in.

As for the "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance, I agree it should be removed, as it was added in 1954 during the McCarthy era, under the notion that commie spies wouldn't say UNDER GOD, being commies and all that. I just never said "Under God", as was my choice, but I didn't force it on anyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment