Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I've never been one to just throw up my hands and quit

But I was >.< this close to giving up on Adobe Photoshop CS6E because of how glacially slow Bridge was. Bridge in CS5 was fast, but in CS6, snails could out run it.

So, ok, what's the different between CS6 and CS5 Bridge?  For months, I couldn't find a damned thing. Set up was the same,  same settings for thumbnails, disk caching, etc all the same. 

I did find I could use the faster CS5 bridge with CS6, if I was willing to do without a few of the tools, including the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw.  I actually did do this for a few days, but certain ACR tools were integral in photo processing. 

While I was setting up a new script with a nifty utility called Y-Launch, a great freeware program made by  to run  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS6 64bit and C:\Adobe\Adobe CS5 64 bit Bridge I discovered that although there is 64bit version of Bridge for CS6, there is no 64bit version of Bridge for CS5.

*LIGHTBULB*

Kept Y-Launch open, and checked the Program Files (86) directory and sure enough, there was CS5 bridge for 32bit, and one for CS6 also. Hmmm, CS5 fast, 32 bit. CS6 slow.. and it's launching the 64bit version.  Let's see how fast it is if I launch the 32bit version of Adobe CS6 Bridge.

Holy f**king shit.  Once again, thumbnails loading fast, no more stalling at "Building Criteria", and no more of the program behaving as if every time I open a specific folder, that it's a brand new import.  Had I known that Photoshop CS5 Bridge was 32bit only... 

So now in Y-Launch, I have a script file that executes the following commands:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS6\Bridge.exe"

Simon, I owe you a beer! A cup of tea, or coffee.. something.

No comments:

Post a Comment