Saturday, May 3, 2014

Why does doing the right thing feel so terrible?

This morning, we took Yin, almost 19 yrs old, to the vet for her final sleep.  We had tried some pain medication and other things to improve her quality of life, but it wasn't working.  We knew this was the final trip, as Yin, who was quite vocal the last time, didn't utter a single sound. The vet was shocked to see how much more weight Yin lost after just one week. "There's almost nothing left of her." Out of <a href="http://Aikidomayland.livejournal.com/"><b>Wing</b></a>  and his mothers' hearing, the vet said Yin had days, if not just hours left, but would be in extreme discomfort and pain. Yin was ready, she was tired, it was time.

Vet took her to the back room to put in the injection cuff, and brought her back to us.  I didn't want to leave her wrapped up in a towel, on a table for her last moments.  I gently picked her up, and cuddled her close yet gently as to not cause any pain. I spoke gently in her ear, Wing and his mother said goodbye.   The vet inserted the first injection via the cuff, and she fell asleep. 2nd injection, and I could feel her breathing and heart beat slowing.  I whispered in her ear "good journey". 3rd injection, and Yin let out a shuddering sigh, all the tension in her body went away, and I felt when she left us.  I told then vet "I think she's gone now."  Vet checked, and I was right.


Yin has crossed "The Rainbow Bridge" 


No comments:

Post a Comment