Monday, December 15, 2014

It's like caring for a child

Ziggy, our older Bengal, has the habit of when she is stressed, she will lick an area on her leg until the fur fall out, and the skin is irritated. Then the vicious circle of her licking it because it itches , which makes it more raw and irritated, which makes it itchier starts. I put a "Cone of Shame on her and we took her to the vet. 

Exam showed no sign of skin infection. Vet and assistant shaved and washed the area, put NeoCort (Combine NeoSporin and Hydrocortisone) ointment on the area, giving it almost immediate relief. Anti-biotic and cortisone injection to last the day.  Came home with medications for her.

Unlike Loki, who just got on with life when he had to wear the CONE OF SHAME, Ziggy sulks.  Right now, she is on the desk extension/armrest look out the window, dozing off. (yeah, I know, I really didn't want that armrest, did I?) 

 

Did I mention how it's thrown my usual schedule into a tailspin?  Get up, crush pill, hide in her food, feed other three, put 1 in bedroom, take CONE OF SHAME off Ziggy, let her 'do her business', put her in front of medicated food (limiting overnight eating ensures she chows down on whatever we give her). 

Drink of water, give her a few minutes to groom face. CONE OF SHAME back on. Wing holds her up on 'show pose', while I put on rubber gloves, and apply NeoCort to her leg and upper thigh.

We get to repeat the ointment again in the evening.  I have an antibiotic past to give her, but the first dose.. well lets just say I had to wash it off her face. Vets need to come up with a tuna flavored version. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment