Thursday, September 17, 2015

Ok, what kind of happy Adobe Horse$hit is this?

On my old netbook (yes, I still have one) I started up Photoshop CS5/CS5 Bridge.  I opened the folder where I had photos taken in Denmark W.A., using the Canon 5DS, 5D3 and 7D2.

This is where the happy horseshit comes in: the first time I opened bridge, I could view the Canon 5DS RAW files, popped up in Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 to take a look. Space Bar to make them zoom in from bridge. But the second time I got "unknown file format".  

Oddly enough this wasn’t just a fluke on my netbook. Our host, Greg Edwards, had the same thing happen when using earlier version of Adobe Lightroom running on a Mac.  He viewed them the first time, and then tried to again later only to get "Unknown File Format". 

No, I didn't accidentally open a JPG, thinking it was a CR2 file, because I ONLY shoot in RAW.

So, there is something, a poison pill, in Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom, a 'call home' feature maybe, that flags what version of their product you're using that forces you to do one of two things: pay for subscription/upgrade, or double storage space used by converting to DNGs.

No comments:

Post a Comment