Saturday, February 27, 2016

A lot of people just don't get it

Many times, when I go visit people, I smile, have a great time. What people don't see is the next day when I am almost in tears from back and leg pain. I swallow pain killers when make me lethargic, but at least keep me functional.

I didn't ask or plan for a disc to calcify in my spine, and then collapse.  I also didn't expect 6 weeks after the surgery for someone to make me walk, using a cane, for 2 kilometers. It set back my recovery at least two weeks. Then, SOMEONE not learning from what happened to me, two weeks later, we go to a cinema with horrible seats (not going to mention the hobbling walk to the cinema and back), and THEN to a cafe with even worse ones.  Did I mention the low to the ground sports car, where I was pretty my folded up in the seat, knees up at a 70 degree angle? It was all I could do not to sob uncontrollably in pain. It took me 3 weeks to recover from that movie/cafe combo.

Too often, chairs and sofas are too low (I'm supposed to sit with my knees at an angle UNDER my hips).  Getting out of them after sitting for a while is, no joke, white hot agony.  But I smile, and never let on.

Of course the next day, I am a case of "Better Living Through Chemistry". 

I can't walk faster, but I'm not 'lazy'.  Many have seen me doing yardwork, go on all day photowalks, go for long hikes in the woods, or over rocky terrain.  Stalking birds for hour after hour. 

So, when we go for a walk through the city, I have two choices. Get left way behind, or limp to walk faster and schedule the eating of pain meds the next day.  Ain't that a hoot?

No comments:

Post a Comment