Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Dug out a fossil

In computer terms, it's close to a fossil. My old Acer Aspire 5735 laptop.  It was relegated to the closet, not just because of it being limited with 4gb of ram, but because it kept overheating and shutting down.

I took it out, booted it up, and it actually boots up fast.  I updated a few things, but not the OS (it's running Win 7 64bit Pro, and please don't nag me about upgrading to Win 10. I have plenty of security for it) But that overheating problem.

I remembered that we got some thermal paste when we were building the two boxes (Alan's and mine). I removed the back while he was finding the thermal paste, and then he took off the fan with built on heatsink. Cleaned all the old thermal paste off, and replaced it with maybe a smidge more than what was originally on the CPU.  I got it currently downloading Windows Defender updates, while watching a movie on DVD.  That area that would get scorching hot to the touch is just warm.

I have to remember that it only has 4gb of ram onboard, and has to share it with the graphics card (note to self, I should check for driver update for it).  I've gotten so used to The Beast with all its bells and whistles.  It is limited, but within those limitations, it seems to be working just fine.  After Windows Defender is finished updating, I will try using On1 Photo 10. Graphics editing used to make it seriously overheat then shut down.

No comments:

Post a Comment