Saturday, May 30, 2020

To be filed under "It wasn't broken, why did you 'fix' it?

Audible, in their infinite wisdom (said in a very sarcastic tone), have decided to force all their subscribers to use the "Enhanced Audio" version only. 

First, they did away with Format 3, which was ok with my old Treo Smartphone,  leaving us Format 4.  I have been using it for close 10+ years with SansaView.  Their excuse umm 'reasoning' is they are moving to a more mobile direction. How is only being able to play them on my Desktop MOBILE?!  In other words, phones.  I used my phone once for an audio book, and it chewed through the battery. But since I had my SansaView, it was a non-issue.

Oh, did I forget to mention that their new enhanced version can't be played on my SansaView? Also, my mp3 player is smaller and lighter than my phone.

Audible has given me three choices:
1: Use all my credits, download everything NOW in Format 4 and cancel my account.
2: Shell out $200 for a new Audible 'approved' device. (Nope, not happening, health more important)
3: "Jail break" the Enhanced Audio files into MP3s (which I am capable of doing), and then downsize their bitrate so they will play on my SansaView. It also will make the file size smaller.

I'm a nerdy sort of person. Anyone want to bet what I will end up doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment