Thursday, November 25, 2021

A pinch of this, a shake of that. The recipe for the Chemical Experiment that is my life

Dr F, after questioning and discussion, has changed my prescriptions and dosage.  She commended me about my ‘self-weaning’ from 6 lorazepam a day (two tablets, 3 times a day) to three tablets a day, to two.  She asked me to continue reduction by .5 (IOWs cut pills in half, and have one and a half tablets a day.  Then one cut in half per day. She did tell me if I start having the dystonic seizures at any reduction, increase dosage to previous reduction.

So, along with the above, I take Lyrica and duloxetine for nerve pain, Naproxen for acute arthritis pain, Metformin for hypothyroid related issues, Thyroxine and Tertroxin for thyroid function.

The new chemical in the mix: Prazosin.

Prazosin is prescribed "off label" to treat the severe nightmares and other sleep disturbances related to PTSD, meaning that it has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for that use. But doctors can legally prescribe any treatment they deem appropriate for a patient's condition. Prazosin is the most thoroughly studied drug in regard to PTSD and sleep among the class of medications known as alpha-1 blockers. In addition to preventing nightmares and insomnia, it can help improve overall symptoms, such as flashbacks, startle response, and irritability or anger, and it can be taken with an antidepressant.

I am hoping that the changes will improve things. Note I didn’t type “fix things” or make it all better?  I want an improvement.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment