Friday, August 5, 2022

Not really fun, but hey...

On July 7th, I had a total left knee replacement. The surgery went ok, but as usual, I had a bad reaction to the medication. Instead of the surgical meds, the post-op medications threw me for a loop.  It made me pass out face first into a cup of apple juice, thereby inhaling some.  Apple juice induced pneumonia! Two days of strong antibiotics set me to right.

Came home on July 13th. Brain still felt as if it had been packed in some sort of fog. Have been told this is normal.
The left leg was swollen from mid-thigh to the foot. Been told this is normal. My left foot was almost twice the size of my right foot.  Also normal. Pretty much stayed seated in bedroom, on the chair with small table, Wing and Alan keeping me company via card table and two chairs.  Gave the place less of a 'sick room' feel.

Loki has pretty much stayed by my side for the entire 3 weeks I've been home. He's discovered the 'body sized' pillow is soft and comfy, so we time share it.

I only had one mishap. My left ankle rolled, and the new knee parts slammed together. The pain was blinding, and I tried not to scream. Wasn't successful. Good news is after two days of 'babying' the leg (Alan noticed if my leg was kept aligned with my hip, there was no pain) it was back to what it had been prior to the mishap.

Home visiting nurse came over, took off the original bandage, and examined the incision. No sign of infection, was healing nicely. Put some Steri-Strips across it, and one larger water proof dressing back over it. She told me I could take it off after a week, and just let the Strips fall off as they will. As of today, I have only two left.

So, have been toddling around with a Zimmer frame, and have graduated to using a cane some parts of the day. My left foot is back to normal size. I can actually take a shower without assistance now, although I prefer to have Wing when I am going to wash my hair. I get a bit of vertigo tipping my head back. I would rather have him there just in case I start tipping over.

Called my GP today to discuss medications and refills, or resuming. Have that all straightened out now.  He said he saw no reason to play tough guy and NOT get pain relief. In actuality, if there is a lot of pain, that can slow down recovery.

So, that's everything in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment