Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Last night, there was an incident with Simba.

He tried to go after Ziggy, and when he was denied that, he attacked Lucy. I don't mean wrestled with her, but attacked. There was/is clumps of fur under the pew bench.

Ziggy has a small scratch on her eyelid, but is otherwise ok. Lucy is also unscathed, with the exception of a few shallow scratches which I checked and cleaned with sterile saline.

Simba was uncontrollable. With Alan's help, and Wing sporting some scratches and bite marks, we managed to get Simba into the pet enclosure and shut the door. We left him alone for about 5 minutes.

Then I went out to see him. He knew what he did was wrong, and was scrunching himself down as small as possible, stress licking his lips and he looked terrified. I put my hand on his back and he was shaking like a leaf. I bent over to be on his level, and spoke softly and soothingly to him, stroking him until he uncoiled. About 5 minutes after that, he relaxed and was more like his usual self.

I have called the vet, and have found out that yes cats can and do suffer from Post Traumatic Stress. He has classic symptoms... Nightmares, rages, fear, shakes. Not to worry, we will take care of this and him. I have already made an appointment with the vet for Saturday at 10:20 am to make sure there isn't a physical reason for this behavior.



No comments:

Post a Comment