Tuesday, June 7, 2011

All's fair in image moderators/moderating?

Not hardly.

I'm not a shit stirrer, but when I see blatant favoritism, or bias, I will speak out. Politely, but firmly.

Last year, I submitted a photo to a certain group on Redbubble. It was accepted. A few month ago, I submitted another photo. It was rejected. I found this odd because after looking through the photos on the group, I found over 10 in 30 seconds that had same lighting, same composition, just different subject or location.

I questioned about it and was give the lamest excuses, and said moderators called in their calvary to berate me (the damning with faint praise variety so it had a semblance of politeness). I backed off. Funnily enough, every photo I have submitted to this group has been rejected, even if I duplicated someone else's photo (I don't mean copied, or stole, but made one of the same layout, lighting etc etc)

Yesterday, I submitted a photo to that group again. It was rejected out of hand. What got me is this: the photo I submitted last year, was the same composition, lighting, clarity, reflection just different location and was accepted. I called them on it, and again, the calvary arrived, popped onto my own journal to again chastise me for daring to speak out about bias and sulky mods. One of them linked to the conversation of the group. I deleted the comment, and asked to please not link without my permission. He complained. I said "Did I name anyone? Did I name group? No, and I intended to keep it that way".

My journal is for me, not them. If they don't like it, don't read it.

Oddly enough, I got a few dozen bubblemails (Redbubble message system) from others who felt the same way I did about how images are rejected even though examples of almost identical images could be found that had been accepted.

I think the best solution is to just bail from that group. They want to keep featuring/accepting the same clique of friends over and over.. their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment