Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Even when you explain something clearly

It's as if the support just can't deviate from their script.

Acer TouchPortal  - from day one, I couldn't get it to connect to Facebook or Flickr. I even did a factory reset to make sure it wasn't something I had installed blocking it.  Still, nothing.

So after a long long time trying to get it work, I submitted a support ticket. It goes as follows:

I know this is a long time coming, but I have always had a problem with TouchPortal connecting to Facebook or Flickr. I keep getting "cannot access, try later". Touchportal is white listed, not being blocked, but I have yet to get it to connect to my Flickr or Facebook account. I have looked all over Windows 7 forums and acer forums, to no avail.

The reply (and just an FYI, it's almost verbatim for a different problem. Replace Video Drivers with TouchPortal):

Good day,
Thank you for contacting Acer Online Support. We apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused you.
Please make sure that you are connected to the internet.
By uninstalling and reinstalling the application, but before you uninstall Acer Touch Portal, kindly check in Acer eRecovery Management if it is available for download.
If it is, kindly uninstall and re-install it.


If the issue still persist, we may need to perform factory reset on the unit.
Note: During the process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased.
Therefore, we recommend making a backup of all personal data before starting the recovery process.


Use the following steps to start the system recovery:

1. Restart the computer.

2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.

3. If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.

4. After the Acer eRecovery Management application has loaded, select your restore type.

5. Read the notice, and then click Next when you are ready.

6. Click Next to begin the restore process. The restore can take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour.

7. Once the restore is complete your computer will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. Your computer may reboot several times during this process.

After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when you first purchased it.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
If you need phone assistance, you may contact us at 1300 365 100 option 2 for Technical Support.
 


Thank you and have a nice day!
Regards, **** ********* **********  Acer Online Support


My rebuttal:

Resetting to factory default again would be a waste of time, as this has been happening since day one. I could never connect with Facebook.
Even with my resetting it to factory default it wouldn't connect to FB or Flickr.


I uninstalled TouchPortal, and reinstalled it (yes, it was in Acer Recovery Management) but the problem persists.


Again, resetting to factory default again would be of no use, as I already tried that when I first got the computer, thinking that something I installed had blocked it.

I reset, went to set up connection to Facebook and Flickr, and got the same message. And that was with nothing new installed.

Let's see if that kicks her off her script.

No comments:

Post a Comment