Tuesday, March 27, 2018

When will I ever learn?

I stupidly updated Firefox so I could update one of my much used addons (blurb on page said it wouldn't work with anything older than v56.) I made a backup archive of my version of firefox, downloaded and installed the new version.

Not only was the new version of Firefox FUGLY, not only did it disable my tried and true addons, THIS version no longer allows you to re-enable those plugins with Nightly Testing Tools. I prefer my drop down menu for search engines, not that hard to read box of itty bitty icons. Can't change it with customize.

*grump*

Ok, I will just restore the archived early version. Uhh, where did the archive go? It seems the update deleted it. Grrrr. So, I just downloaded the version that worked, installed it. That worked. Sort of.

All boomarks were gone. I tried to restore them. "Unable to process backup file". Fine, tried to download them from Xmarks.. nope, errors. Did a little digging, deleted the places.sqlite, restarted and tada!

I think I will keep the latest version of firefox on my VM, and then use that to download newer versions of my addons, export them with FEBE, and then import them into my desktop browser.

If it ain't broken, I am NOT going to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment