Saturday, December 29, 2018

Luminar 3

Proof that the previous version is more versatile for me. Now I know so many people whined about Luminar having no Digital Asset Management, but that was never an issue with me.  I would always make folders on the day, by category etc etc. 

Don't get me wrong, Luminar 3 is a powerful editing tool, but I find it's layout, slow and clunky. The DAM slows the program down to a crawl.  I guess you could point where your images are to an empty directory so there’s no gallery to build, navigate to the photos you want to edit,  THEN do your edits.  I'd rather know where my raw file is, and open it that way, than wait to slog through Luminar 3, or wait 5 minutes for it to be re-indexing the gallery! 

However,  using Luminar 3 as a plugin in either Photoshop or Lightroom is a a lot quicker than trying to use Luminar 3 FROM Luminar three, but it seems to take an unduly long time for the splash screen to go away.

I haven't seen any real difference between Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 when being used as a plugin, so if you're happy with Luminar 2018, stay with it, because the cobbled together DAM built into Luminar 3 is more a pain in ass, than as asset.

No comments:

Post a Comment