Monday, February 7, 2022

If you want true AI noise reduction on your photos

I have used many different noise reduction programs, starting way back when NoiseNinja was all the rage. Noise reduction software has improved immensely. Here are the ones I have used.

Define, by NIK and Google, and finally DxO: The results are good , but I have found it would either smooth things too much, and leave behind artifacts. You can use the brush tool to 'paint' the areas you want noise removed. It is a bit slow to process the image.

On1 NoNoise; Wow. Yes, it removes noise but you also have the options of regaining some detail, or sharpness, or how strong the noise removal has to be. It's not just fast to show you, it is fast. Any changes made you instantly see. I have found that when I use NoNoise, I don't need any sharpening on the image.

Topaz DeNoise: If you started this program without me seeing the splash screen, I would have though it was On1 NoNoise because of the layout and tool arrangement. That's where the resemblance stopped. Topaz DeNoise is Slow. Slow to process any change in the pre-processing window, even if you want to just center the photo. Slow to update changes. Detail recovery is slow, and clumsy. Use of any of the sliders makes the program crawl.

I'm sticking with NoNoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment