Thursday, November 5, 2009

Not too thrilled by this... but needed to be done

The continuing Tai Chi class. Not a good thing for me.

The instructor was a bit, shall we say, militant about the Don yus (exercises) and even though I have listed my peculiar problem with nerve damage, and spinal problems. She just kept cajoling and bullying me until I did them with "Oh just try! Your leg will get stronger." not realising that muscle strength isn't the problem! I have the muscles of a figure skater in my legs from physiotherapy, but they don't get nerve 'messages'. Because of this, I can do exercises, and not feel any pain, but later on, I am a immovable heap of humanity, usually with a badly spasming back. Legs are just fine, but the back.. not so much.

And it also felt as if she was demonstrating how well she could do everything, rather than instruct. She also made it appear that I couldn't opt out and just sit it out, even though our beginners instructors had told us we could certainly abstain from anything that would cause pain. She had no empathy for those not 'able bodied'.

Maybe the problem is they need an intermediary class, rather than tossing freshly graduated from beginners into the continuing sessions.

I have discussed this with someone else who used to go to the tai chi sessions, but ended up quitting for the same reasons I have listed here.

Right now, Wing is at the Tai Chi center.. having a few words with them, and delivering a letter. Ever the accountant, it has to be in writing or it didn't happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment