Thursday, January 27, 2011

Android tablet Test

I have been 'experimenting' (for want of a better term) with a low end Android Tablet, called the ePad. Now, comparing it to the iPad would be silly, as that would be like comparing a VeeDub with a Mercedes.

Keeping that in mind, I will say that yes, the little ePad does perform its functions. The USB hub is a bit tricky to not to bump, but it does work, allowing me to use both a mini keyboard and USB Modem. There was a bit of a boondoggle getting the 3G set up via USB modem. Mostly impatience on my part, but when it takes 3 minutes for something to connect, one would tend to thinks something isn't working. Once connected, I did some websurfing.

The pages were slow to load, and it has this annoying habit (can't find how to disable this either) of going to the 'mobile' version of webpages, even when you try to go to the full site. This can prevent the tablet from getting bogged down, but it can also prevent one from being able to download and install things, like the Audible audiobook reader (beta version from Google groups crashes on install attempt, no joy there). The Android App market doesn't have it listed, either.

I was able to install the Kindle App, and it works pretty damn well. A bit slow to 'turn the page', but not so slow I would stop reading. About on par with the time it would take you to find your coffee/tea/drink of choice, sip, and start reading again.

I have been trying different video formats on it, and it's hit or miss. I suggest getting a video converter program, and work out what format you want that will play back smoothly.

The Camera.. all i can say is it does work. Think of webcams from about 5 yrs ago.

Battery life - Dimming the screen, and shutting off unnecessary apps running in the background will give you 2 , maybe 3 hrs, max.


So yes, it works. Does exactly what it's made to do. It's fine for quick email check, websurfing, and e-book reading. I haven't tried any games out on it, as that wasn't what I had wanted to test for. But keep the charger, or external power source handy if you need running for 4+ hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment