Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I had $30 iTunes credit

So I decided to buy a movie, HD, of course.  Little did I know that I would be forced to play it in the iTunes video player. Oh well, fine, do what I have to do.

Then, I got this cute gem: if I wanted to play it full screen on my secondary monitor, it would blank out my primary monitor. Ooookay, so I tried playing it full screen on my primary monitor instead, only to find out that it would blank out the secondary monitor.  I checked every forum, every FAQ and this cute bullshit is a 'feature', to keep focus on my video playing. Really? Apple has never heard of 'multi-tasking'?

Can't play it in VLC or DiVX because you know... iTunes "Play Fair" DRMing (a misnomer if I ever read one). If I can play my iTunes music purchase in other players, why the hell should I be forced to use the cludgy crappy iTunes video player? I bought it, I should be able to play it with any program (VLC and Divx can handle non DRM mv4 files)

I looked around for solutions to this. Many of them are slow and cumbersome. Audials One will record the video while playing it in iTunes. BUT it keeps the programs on top of everything on Primary monitor, and you can't switch it to your secondary, it keeps reverting back to primary. So, I tried running it overnight, and of course it crashed.  :/  I checked other software brands, and just about all of them seemed to do the same thing. Record it while it played in iTunes, making your computer pretty much unusable until it was finished.

I managed to find one, TunesKit.  Unlike the others, it removes the DRM so you can play it in other players, rather than recording it live, and saves the result as an universal MP4 video.  I tried it, and it converted the first 5 minutes of the movie in about 5 seconds. I watched the result; crisp, clean, audio perfect.

I can now play the movie, FULL screen, on secondary monitor, without blanking out the primary.  And it's NOT for distribution, but for my personal use.

No comments:

Post a Comment