Friday, September 9, 2016

There be Whales!

Early this morning, Wing and I headed out for a #CanonCollective Event, Whale Watching on the Rottnest Express.

I ‘suited up’ with the padding the Doc gave me, got camera, lens, spare battery, wet weather coat just in case, and headed out.

Spotted Humpback Whales and the captain of the Rottnest Express, steered us slowly toward them, and we coasted to a stop.  Then I found out an interesting thing. I had zero problem with motion sickness on any boat, ever. However (and I'm sure you knew that was coming) it seems that staring through a view finder of a camera can and does cause acute nausea.  I made it to the lee of the boat, and 'fed the fishes'.  Crew mate brought me a bottle of water, and instead of drinking it, I rinsed off my lens which got hit by 'blow back'.

Brought inside, and one of the other crew mates told me that the nausea via viewfinder happens, and even to her when she uses binocular, but you won't know you're susceptible until it happens. 

Well, I wasn't going to let something as a bit of "Chunder Down Under" stop me.  So, after a drink of water, my stomach calmed down. I went back outside, took some photos. Nausea hit again, so I made it back to my table, grabbed the 'bag', hurked. Cleaned myself up again, got another drink of water, and went out again.  I repeated this a few times. :D  So, I am just a wee bit stubborn.

But I think it was worth it, yes?

 

Humpback Whale breaching, Perth in the background.

Breeching a bit closer

Tail Slapping.

Blow holes, and water sheeting off its back.

Flipper Flap!  almost like it was waving to us.

A Tail and Three Whales – one on the left did almost duck out before I got the photo.

Kept "Spy Hopping", but missed it peeking at us.

No comments:

Post a Comment