Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ok, part 1 wasn't too bad

Yesterday, had the filling drilled through (after numbing, of course) and sat through first step of a root canal. Dentist had a bit of a problem with one of the roots (a calcified cap), and after trying for a hour to clear it, he flushed it with anti-bacterial solution, then packed with with something specifically made to soften the cap, and allow for the rest to be removed later. Put a temporary filling in, and then went home.

I have to admit, I was feeling trepidation about pain returning. I don't know what it is about dental pain, but it seems to be less tolerable than pain in any other parts of the body. Luckily the only pain I had was residual from the procedure itself, rather than the nerve in the tooth. I do have to be careful about biting down on it, as the area is still sensitive. I should probably stick with soup until my jaw feel better.

Another thing: even though I intellectually know that modern dental procedures are more or less painless, there is an atavistic fear of dentistry. I have a great reason to be a bit skittish (even Dr C agreed I had every reason to be on edge after what some moron did to me years and years ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment