Sunday, April 6, 2014

Haven't tasted the likes of that in 30+ years

When I was a kid, I loved "delicious" apples. Red Delicious, Golden Delicious. But when I was an adult, because of long cold storage, and other reasons (farming, growing of certain varieties only) "Delicious Apples" just weren't. No fragrance, no flavor, with the taste and texture of wax.

Today, Wing and I were out pillaging. I went into the local growers veggie store.

I, to my delight, found some October Sun Plums, a favorite of mine. Meandered through, picking up some sugarsnap peas, a few avocados. I turned down the aisle, and smelled something I hadn't smelled in decades, but remembered.

The honeyed apple fragrance of Golden Delicious apples. Thinking I was mistaken, I looked around, and there I saw them. Golden in color, some with a slight blush of red. I picked one up, held is close to my face, and inhaled. Mana must smell like this.

Bought some, and brought them home.

Unpacked the groceries, and took one apple from the bag. Washed it off, and then took a bite.

You know how scientists say our sense of smell is the one sense that can bring memories flooding back like no other sense can? That one bite of a Golden Delicious apple brought back good memories of my Grandmother, baking pies, catching fireflies then letting them go before we went in for the night, and a slew of others. A feeling that all is well with the world.

Such a small thing, one Golden Delicious Apple. Pardon me while I put the other ones in the crisper.

No comments:

Post a Comment