Tuesday, April 19, 2016

It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!

Ok, more like resurrected. The Seagate drive diagnostic at Payam Data Recovery showed that the drive heads had failed. I was asked if I wanted to attempt a data recovery, and I said yes. I paid the non refundable deposit and the drive was sent to PAYAM clean room facilities, where it would be taken apart, tested to see if the data could be recovered. I chose the least expensive 'slow boat' method, no rush, no dire need for the data. It was taken apart, checked, drive head failure confirmed.

The good news is, the platters weren't damaged, and all data was recovered, and transferred to a new drive. There might be a few glitchy files, but I called, spoke to Lachlan, confirmed the faulty drive, clearly labeled for warranty purposes, and the new drive with the recovered data was ready. Paid what was owed, and it will be sent to me.

I did discuss with Lachlan about how I have had 3 Seagates croak in 5 years, and he said that was just bad luck. Regardless, I think I will stick with Western Digitals for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment