Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Ephemeral nature of the Internet

A little over 6 years ago, 6Apart shut down Vox Blogging (personally, I think they sold it to MSNBC, as now many of their journos are posting on Vox now). We were given the option to export to either TypePad or WordPress.  Not taking any chances, I exported to both.

But before Vox shut down permanently for us mundane bloggers, I had my blog "Listening to the Voices in My Head" made into three books.

It wasn't vanity, but the nature of the internet. Things can vanish so quickly, disappear into the bitstream, never to be seen again.  So, I had my Vox blog 'booked'.  As luck would have it, shortly after all three volumes arrived, the people running the printing service had a falling out, and stopped production. I was one of the lucky ones who got her books.

 

I have been reading them, and it's a strange feeling.  I find myself laughing at things I wrote... because it's funny.  Every year I dutifully save my LJ blog as a PDF. Who knows what will be done with that. Seeing how expensive it was to print these three.. but then, this was a time sensitive rush order.

No comments:

Post a Comment