Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The ongoing MalwareBytes Saga

After uninstalling, reinstalling, reactivating over and over again, I ended up getting error that I had exceeded the allotted number of activations, so I had to open a different support ticket, giving them the information regarding the above mentioned 'over and over' section.

Just shits and giggles, with version 3.1.2 installed, I decided to try to compatibility modes.  I started at the top with Vista, V SP1, V SP2. No joy

Server 2008 and 2003. No joy

XP, XP SP1, XP SP2. No joy

Windows 2000. Nope

NT 4 with SP5. Nope.

I was ready to give up, but just for laughs, I tried Windows 95 compatibility mode. And holy crow, the UI opened!  I was able to navigate all the menus, no problems.  I tried Win 98/ME compatibility. It also worked.  However I noticed that although the system tray icon says that Ransomware protection is on, the UI will say it's unavailable. Some online searches showed that it will do that because according to posts on the forums, there was no ransomware with Windows 95/98/ME or XP.

I thank my foresight for deciding to upgrade Windows 7 to Pro version, as the Home and Premium would have only had compatibility to XP and above only.  95/98/ME weren't included in Home or Premium.

So, I ended up figuring out how to get it to work, not their in house techs.

So, it's working now.. and Alan said "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment