Sunday, December 31, 2017

Why do they have to make things so effin' difficult?

I really don't like Western Digital right now. I have three external Western Digital drives, and one Seagate, in separate enclosures. To save space, to free up USB3 ports, and to use less electricity, I got a 5 bay HDD enclosure. It was supposed to be a NON-RAID, but hey, they sent us a RAID version.

After some half-assed instructions from the seller, I contacted someone I know has great advice, Alan and I tested the 5 bay enclosure with two drives (The Seagate, and the system HDD from my old computer). They spun up without a problem. YAY!

So, Alan and I started breaking down the Western Digital enclosures (thankfully we were careful),  plugged the HDDs into the 5 bay enclosure.  I suddenly get messages that I have to format those drives to make them usable?  Oh Hell no!  So, Alan put the WD drive into the Seagate enclosure.  Same message. 

I did a quick internet search... "Western Digital MyBook/Elements drives not working in new enclosure".  That was when I started saying naughty words. Turns out Western Digital hardwired encryption in the "data bridge".  We plugged the WD Enclosure card back on to the drive, and TA DA! All data available and readable.

What I have to do, is copy all the data to another drive (fun fun) insert the WD drive into the 5 Bay enclosure, format the drive, and then copy everything back, as there is no way (that I know of) around the encrypting process.  Says it's going to take at lease 11 hrs to transfer one drive. That's only if there isn't something that can't be copied while I'm asleep and stalls it all.

Why do they have to make things so effin' difficult?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment