Thursday, November 29, 2012

I* figured out the copy/paste problem with Windows 8

After getting the constant "It must be something you're doing wrong" or "Must be something wrong with your hardware", "You must have incompatible software" or suggestions of doing a 'clean install'.

The process of making note of everything that is installed, having to deactivate software, and do a 'clean install' wasn't an option, as the time it would take would make restoring the Windows 7 system image a better option.

But, what I did was this:

Uninstalled all the Windows 8 Updates. Copy/Paste/Move files worked. Uninstalled CFiShellToys. Rebooted. Copy/Paste worked.

Then I reinstalled Win8 updates, no more than 3 at a time. Sometimes just 1 if it was a large one. With every Windows Start up, I copied/moved a test file. When it succeeded, I would install another update. Repeat.

I then re-installed CFiShellToys, restarted. Copy/Paste/Move worked.

All I can figure is one or more of the Windows 8 updates screwed something up, or was corrupt. I'm a bit smug about the fact that it wasn't something I was don't incorrectly, or the fault of already installed software.

No comments:

Post a Comment