Friday, November 16, 2012

Ok, what dipwit decided this was a good thing?

I want to get the memory on desktop boosted from 8gb to 16gb. On advice from Acer Rep, I decided to get an external hard drive, specifically for using to make a system image. So not to be caught short, I got a Seagate 3tb drive.

Arrived, was unpacked and set up, setup.exe run, all suitably set up. So, I started running Windows 7 back up. Appeared to be working, then failed. Thinking that maybe I had something running that was screwing it up, I shut everything down, and just had the back up running. It failed again. Tried using Norton Ghost with it, and same problem.

So, I did a websearch, and found out why it kept failing. Seagate, in their infinite wisdom, decided to cripple the drive in some odd way to prevent it from being used to make a full disc image. I would really like to know what moron, what dipwit, decided this was a good thing.. and then give him/her/them a good beating with a NERF® bat, because unlike Western Digital, they didn't bother providing software for the problem of how back up software handles large drives.

So, here I am, copying all my photos from the small external, over to the big one first. Only going to take 18 hours (plus or minus). Then I will move the small stuff so I can format the drive, and then use that one for the full system back up.

All because some daffy bastard thought that making sure a large external hard drive could NOT be used for creating a back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment