Tuesday, November 20, 2012

In an age where tech support ...

Is pretty much some person, or program, searching for a term or two, then giving you an answer that has nothing to do with what you asked about (ie Seagate concerning their new larger drives) it was refreshing to actually have tech support do their job.

I have Norton Ghost 15. Every time I tried to run a back up the past day or so, it would fail. No matter what I tried, it failed. So, today, I logged into Norton Live Chat. After asking my permission, I allowed him to remotely log in, and run Norton. I cleared out old jobs at his request, and then he set up some options in Norton, and told me to start a back up.

Lo and behold, it worked. Back up in progress. Gonna take several hours, but that's the price of larger hard drives.

The sucky thing is that Ghost and Windows 7 back up are limited to 2tb drives only. You can use 3tbs for data storage, but not to make system images. Since many major computer stores are having big sales on 2tb drives due to the advent of Windows 8, might be a good time to go get a few to replace the 1tb drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment