Thursday, April 4, 2013

Yes, I know it's 'subjective'

But when a judge at a photo 'exhibition' is so inconsistent in what criteria/element of the image is wrong/right/correct, I get confused. Couple that with the judge dismissing a carefully planned, timed to almost the second, photo a fortuitous, and I get disgusted.

My B&W image was sharp, clear, leading lines, and yes, it had REFLECTIONS of people's legs, not people, in the photograph. That was the ONLY complaint from the judge. That being said, he had no problem critiquing other peoples photos that had people full on in them but they got silver or bronze? Or awarding gold (which to me signifies a perfect image) and then say "cut this, brighten this" or some other edit/

And the more I think of the dismissive "fortuitous comment, I get angry. Especially when the judge this time around is introduced as someone who believes in planning and then taking just one image. That's what I did, and it was dismissed as a lucky accident, like a happy snap.

And no, it's not a case of 'sore loser'. I enter to learn, not get confused by inconsistency.

Beginning to agree with Wing about these re-branded as 'exhibition' competitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment