Sunday, May 22, 2016

Kind of expected squabbles

Yesterday and the day before, we were hit by a severe storm front. Our gorgeous Gum Tree was badly damaged.  This tree is (or should I say was) the stage for many of my large bird photographs (Cockatoos, Kookaburras, Galahs)

This makes me want to cry:


I am hoping that we will be able to have the outer sections removed, leaving the center spire to 're-bush'.  (gum trees are notorious for how difficult they are to 'kill off'). 

Squabbles:  the tree above was a major, and I mean major, food source and nesting area for local honey eaters and other birds.  Our bottlebrush trees, which were trimmed way back last year because of solar panel installation, were another.  I 'fixed' the bottlebrush tree problem by getting 5 hummingbird feeders and finding a proper nectar recipe, supplementing it with 'molting vitamins' every once in a while, and spreading them out in the bottlebrushes.  Now that the gum tree was badly damaged by the storm, the competition for that food source has resulted in squabbles, with the oldest, biggest Red Wattlebird being the bully of the block.

There is a good chance that I will have to spread them out a bit further, in different trees, and will be refilling them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment