Monday, May 30, 2016

The stupidity of hardware/software/encoders

What's the point of having a kick ass computer, faster than anything you've had, only to have people to make BIOS and hardware controllers throttle things?

I kept wondering why my USB 3 drives kept dropping off or not being seen on the powered 7 port USB 3 hub. Turns out that the chipsets are deliberately throttled to only being able to handle 3 high speed devices.   But, I can have up to 14 USB 2 devices connected (that would be one USB 2 hub, and then using up to 13 external devices. Might sound like a lot, but my keyboard takes two ports, mouse takes one, 4 ext HDDs, USB Audio adapter for better volume from the speakers, graphics tablet, external region free Blu Ray drive, Soundblaster headset, HD webcam, and on the laptop, using a DVI to USB monitor adapter... see, it adds up)

This is beyond annoying.  All the ports I have on my desktop (will have again, once the replacement gets back) 3 USB 3 ports on the back, one on the front, several USB2 ports.... 

So, I will have to juggle which device will go into which hub when my desktop gets put back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment