Friday, August 15, 2008

Candid Photography


"Veggies are his business"
Restocking the mixed salad greens bin so fast, his hands are a blur of motion.


I was reading on the Candid photography forum, a complaint as to why so and sos picture was declined, and why one was accepted.

The rejected photograph was a general beach scene, and it didn't meet the criteria of "photos that are taken of persons going about their daily lives – and are not aware of a camera present. We want to see captures – slices of time ", not by a long shot.

Personally, I think the complaint was was sour grapes on the part of the person whose photograph was kicked back. I looked at the one he complained subject must have known she was being photographed.

My comment was this:

I looked at "Midnight Against the wall". IMO If the subject had been looking directly at the camera, then the complaint about it not being candid would be valid. But she is looking off to her left and up at someone. Not at the camera.

A good zoom lens, and enough light around the subject and that could have been taken from 50 ft away, unbeknown to the her, even if the she is looking in that direction.

I have had images rejected, and once I fixed it or re-shot it, it got accepted. It's called learning and improving.

Buy my art


No comments:

Post a Comment