Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wow, watch the Support Tech from MS do back flips!

As I wrote before, I suddenly got the "Your Copy of XP isn't valid" message, and my computer was suddenly sluggish and had things not working right (like customizations, wall paper, menus). I emailed MS Support, like a good little drone, only to have the guy tell me this:

After checking the product key *****-*****-*****-*****-*****, I find it is not valid. I would like to confirm that if it is the key on you sticker. If not, please send me the product key and I will help you verify it.

So, I sent photographs of the disc, the barcode, and the License key. Now, he has changed his story to this:

After checking the attachments, I find that this product key*****-*****-*****-*****-***** is not invalid and it is volume license type. Volume License key is special and it cannot be provided to Home Users. It was only provided to company, school or government. It is possible that the key owner reported that this key was stolen and then the key was blocked. Therefore, I suggest contacting the retailer direct and confirm that if they have permission to sell this key

I forwarded this to the retailer. He is like WTF? only politely. He called his distributor, and guess what? It's not stolen, nor was is for a school or business, and could be sold.

After I did that, I went to the Windows Update page again, and screen capped about a half dozen IE pages of successful update, including the "Validation". I have been informed that for a 'small fee' I can get a new XP Pro license key from them.

1: The amount they want isn't what I would call 'small'.
2: I refuse to by the software twice.

Well, I ran the RemoveWGA tool, and have the computer set up for automatic updates to dl but ask me which ones I want installed.



No comments:

Post a Comment