Tuesday, September 8, 2009

After all of Microsoft protestations about piracy

I get an email back from the MS Tech support, the same guy that first said my copy was invalid, then said it wasn't but the license key was invalid, has now given me step by step instructions on how to hack and crack XP Pro, bypassing the "Windows Genuine Advantage" stranglehold.

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the time and effort you have invested.

Sandra, I would like to explain that the search result shows that thousands of people can use this key if they want or search the key. Actually, the genuine retail version of product key cannot be found on Internet. As mentioned in my previous mail, this key is volume license type. It is why many people are able to use this key in a long time. This type of key cannot be sold to home user. It was only sold to organization and the seller must provide an agreement to the user. If this type of key got out, the key will be blocked and the users will receive the message that the copy may be counterfeited. If we have the agreement, we can contact the channel manager who provided the agreement and she/he will provide another genuine key. I think the retailer has not the permission to sell the volume license key. I strongly suggest we contact the retailer and return this key or let them provide a new key.

I fully understand the inconvenience this issue brought. Therefore, if you want, I can help you disable the notification directly. After disabling the notification, we still can receive security updates for system.

Disable WGA Notifications
===================
1. Click "Start", click "Run", and type in "system32" (without the quotes) and press "Enter".
2. In the opened folder, look for the file named "WgaTray.exe".
3. Right-click on the file, select "Rename" and type "WgaTray.old" (without the quotes) to rename this file.
4. Please also locate the file “WgaLogon.dll” (without the quotes) in the same folder and rename it to “WgaLogon.old” (without the quotes).
5. Click "Start", click "Run", and type in "DLLCACHE" (without the quotes) and press "Enter".
6. In the opened folder, look for the file named "WgaTray.exe".
7. Right-click on the file, select Rename and type "WgaTray.old" (without the quotes) to rename this file.
8. Please also locate the file “WgaLogon.dll” (without the quotes) in the same folder and rename it to “WgaLogon.old” (without the quotes).
9. Then restart the computer and see if you still receive the notification.

Thank you for your cooperation. Please try the steps shown above and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this issue, please don't hesitate to tell me. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.
I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

****** **
*****@mssupport.microsoft.com

That's right folks, Microsoft's best and brightest have told me how to bypass their own anti-piracy software!

Yeah, so, I already knew how, but that's not the point, now is it?



No comments:

Post a Comment