Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The price of not paying attention and over taxing oneself

I don't really get 'hungry'. It's a glitch due to thyroid. So to combat this, I keep on a daily regimen of caloric intake. It's boring, but when my hands are ice cold, even in the middle of summer, I know it's time for a bit of a nosh.

Well, yesterday, I had my usual breakfast. Was getting ready to have lunch around 1, and I got a phone call from Meegan. We went for a micro-pillage for India supplies (chick pea flower, clarified butter, amla, papadums and other items). Had a brief stop for coffee, and came home. I forgot that I hadn't had lunch, and just got ready for Tai Chi.

*sigh* I knew I was in trouble about halfway through the last set. My legs were wobbly, my arms started shaking, and vision started greying. I managed to finish the set, and started toddling over to the teacher. I slurred "i forgot to have lunch i think im going to faint not kidding could i have an apple please?" Two people put their hands under my arms just as I folded like a cheap lawn chair. Next thing I know, I am seated on a chair, with my head below my knees. I looked up and saw two of everyone. Joan (nurse, retired) knew what was happening, and was there with a small juicy orange, telling me to eat it. I actually had to have help with that. She went to the kitchen and fixed a glass of warm water with two teaspoons of sugar, and had me drink that. I was shaking all over. After some more orange bits, and a cup of tea, I was aware of my surroundings again. 15 minutes and 3 crackers later, I no longer sounded like I was drunk.

Note to self: before Tai Chi, have at least a slice of toast with cheese or fruit.

I'm still feeling the effects of last night.



No comments:

Post a Comment