Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things I like and dislike about Windows 7

Pros:
Faster boot up, more stable (then again, the San Andreas fault is more stable than Vista) and with the "Run in XP Compatible Mode", runs everything I have thrown at it so far, including Win95 programs. The 'pinned to task bar' to me is just a new version of the Quick Launch. Instead of a scrolling menu, they are lined up. (I use yLaunch),

Cons:
If you make your own custom desktop settings, it keeps creating new "unsaved" versions of the desktop settings/themes for gods know what reasons. It's a common problem, and none of the fixes listed actually fix this. It will also arbitrarily re-arrange desktop icons. (Use freeware version of FENCES, took snapshot of the layout, and when it gets re-arranged, just restore snapshot) Doesn't save desktop settings on exit, but only intermittently. I do not like the new version of the Start menu. I don't care you can search through it, it sucks. I want to be able to point and click, not point, search, type, click and then run. I fixed that with "Classic Start Menu" which ended up having for flexibility and user friendly than the Win7 native start menu.

No DOS full screen ability. That was also a Vista issue, which is why I will always have one computer that runs XP, even if it's a laptop, as none of those 'Virtual" ones work worth a damn.

Also, as with Vista, no Up arrow in Windows Explorer. The "Back" isn't a substitute for it. I got "Mavis Up Arrow" for that.

Is it all the big brouhaha is saying it is? No, it's what Vista was supposed to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment