Friday, July 16, 2010

Has all tech support been lobotomized?

I have been having a problem with my computer. It's nothing huge, but it's annoying. For some odd reason, the screen will occasionally go solid light grey and then hard lock. I Have to power down by holding the power button down for about 10 seconds. I reboot, all is well. The odd thing is Windows 7 Incident report doesn't detect it as a crash or problem.

I have done all the usual, uninstall software, make sure drivers are up to day, roll back drivers if they have been updated, scanned for virus/malware/spyware, the whole gamut.

So, after exhausting what I can do since I am no longer in a computer store/tech dept, I did the logical thing. I submitted a support request.

This guy's answer floored me.

Good Afternoon Sandra,

Thank you for contacting Acer's online helpdesk.

The problem you describe can be caused by a number of different possibilities; however as a first point of measure, I should like to suggest you run through a system recovery, in the event there are any corrupted system files.
I have provided some simple and easy to follow instructions to running a system recovery.

Please also note that all personal data will be deleted, and your system restored to factory default when performing a system recovery. We suggest you backup your personal files to either CD/DVD or a USB storage device if possible. We also recommend that you keep regular backups of your personal files.

WTF??!! Restoring to factory default is the last resort, not the first! And I have already checked the integrity of my OS. I guess he missed the part where I said that. *boggle*

My reply to him.

I don't know what school of tech support you hie from, but when I was working tech support for computer repairs/set up/installations, resetting to factory default, or formatting the HD and reinstalling the OS is the *last* resort, not the first.

You state at the outset there are other causes. Fine, list them, and let me go through the solutions you can provide.

Again, resetting to factory default is the LAST resort, not the first step.

They really make me want to knock on their foreheads and day "Hi, I'm from Earth... every heard of it?" Oy.



No comments:

Post a Comment