Friday, November 5, 2010

Canon EOS 550D vs the 60D

The Good: the 60D does have more bells and whistles, but when it comes to photo quality, there is Zero difference. (the lighting did change, as the sun was ducking behind clouds). Each was just as sharp and clear, I ran the same process on both images. I haven't labeled which is which, but I will reply in a private message. So, take a stab at which one it is, and why you think so, and I will let you know if you're right.   The 60 has many more ISO settings which can come handy (ISO 100 too low, but 200 too high? Try 160!) and a nifty flip out screen (like my Lumix Fz50) which is really handy for video recording, and taking portraits, and many of the settings are in a small lighted window next to the shutter. I loved the artificial horizon, as I have a weak left leg, and can lean to the left without realising it. And the 5.7 fps can almost guarantee you get the shot you want.  Also, the 60 has up to 1/8000 of a second shutter speed for perfectly freeze framed image.


 


 


The Bad: You can't change the White Balance on the fly, as can be needed with the sun playing peek a boo, or if you decide to take a photo under trees, unless you have the flip screen out. This might not be considered too terrible, but the display doesn't switch off when you bring the camera to your eye to the viewfinder as it does with the 550D.



 


550D has a photosensor which shuts the display off when you use the viewfinder   It's also heavier, which some think is bonus, but if you try to add telephoto lens and are going to be out for the long haul, it begins to feel like an anchor. The buttons to select settings feel kind of mushy, no tactile feeling, so you have to watch to make sure your settings have changed. This can annoying if you are trying to make quick adjustments. Also, they moved the power and setting wheel to the OTHER side of the camera, and where it used to be is where you lighted settings window is.


The Neutral: It has in camera RAW processing. Maybe I am too 'old school' but I would prefer to do that on a large screen, not let the camera do it automatically. It also has "Creative Filters". Again, this is a non-issue with me, as I would said filtering on desktop with large monitor and software so I could undo it if I didn't like it.


 


So yes, it has extra widgets, and gadgets but if you want to upgrade and have the 550D, don't.. go straight to the 7D.



No comments:

Post a Comment