Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sometimes, updates/upgrades just aren't worth it

I decided to give Firefox RC4.0 a tryout. I expected the GUI to be a bit confusing at the outset, but figured it out fairly quick.  Wasn't all that wowed about the revamped toolbars, or it's attempt to mimic Chrome appearance. I will say it did launch much faster than FF v3. But I think part of that speed is because of what I am going to comment about next.

FF RC4 tanked many of my tried and true addons. With FF v2x to 3x, there was this addon that allowed you to make your addons compatible with updated versions. They have done away with this. Bad move, as some of these addons have no updates, but work fine in v3.1x.x.

Luckily for me.. strike that. Smartly for me, I used Mozbackup to make a full back up of Firefox before trying RC4. I have since restored it to it's quite functional and useful self.

So yes, if you are installing it fresh vanilla, no addons, you'll love it. But for me, it borked too many of my addons and the new features didn't make up for that loss enough for me to switch over.



No comments:

Post a Comment