Thursday, September 13, 2012

Gray hair and age are mutually exclusive

Getting early gray (silver actually) is a family trait. I spotted my first one at 15, and it was noticeable by others at age 17. My youngest son had his visible gray hair at age 11. Now anyone who knows what causes gray hair, it's just the amount of pigment at the base of the hair follicle. It doesn't all run out at the same time, which is why gray hair seems to 'creep' in strand by strand.

My gray hair is the little bit of hair that falls in front of my ears, and about ten strands on the right side of my forehead. Been there for years and years.

When I was in my late teens and in my 20, it was cool to have those silvery locks. In my 30s, it was still 'ok'. When I hit my 40s, not so much. it's not fair but if I was a a 40+ yr old man with gray locks, it would be called distinguished. But gray hair on a woman, we just get called 'old'.

So, I've taken to camouflaging the gray. I use something, an herbal mix that when applied, and left on for a while, changes the grays to 'highlights'. The bonus is it makes my scalp feel good, too.

I'm sure that in a time not too far in the future, before my head starts looking like nothing but 'highlights', I'm just going to let it go gray. But not just yet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment