Thursday, September 6, 2012

I don't why Wing would be so surprised

Before the "Great Disc Collapse", I was very much into astronomy. I would spray AeroGuard (bug repellent) on my legs and arms, then muscle my telescope with filters/tools, a small table and a laptop computer outside, and just study the stars, planets, comets, nebulae etc etc. I was just getting adept using the DSI when I landed in the ER due to disc collapse.

Well, although I am up and about, I can't get the telescope outside anymore. The motorized EQ5 mount is just too heavy for me to maneuver out the door. :(

So, I've been looking at telescope brocures. I've spotted two contenders. A Sky-Watcher 8 or 10inch Dobsonian, or a 6in Celectron Nextstar. They each have plus and minuses/.

The Dobs :
The Good: Easier to use, can be trundled around around as it's on a wheeled dolly. It's tall, so almost no stooping over to use the viewfinder.
The Bad: not too good for astrophotography, as long exposures mean with rotation of the earth, the 'scope can't track it. Yes, I know you can get a very expensive motorized dolly, but that negates the easy of use.

The Schmidt-Cassegrain:
The Good: Smaller barrel, easy dismantling, light weight construction, computerized tracking, so long exposures for stacking images will work. Can view deep space with more clarity
The Bad: more expensive, moving parts mean chances of breakdown, batteries needed.

I will be selling the telescope I can't use due to the weight of it. There's nothing wrong with it, other than it's too heavy for me since the back surgery. Barely used EQ5 Mount, all eyepieces. Would prefer to sell it locally, as shipping costs would be outrageous due to the weight!



Taken at just about every angle. It's in great condition, the mount is almost brand new. I used it about 4 times. 5inch objective, 900mm long.
















Might even throw in the Webcam I converted to be a CCD camera. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment