Tuesday, January 2, 2018

ARRRRGH!

Now, I know this is just another example of "First World Problems", but c'mon! First, the wrong 5 bay drive. Then haphazard instructions. Then finding out that the Western Digital external HDDs had hardwired encryption in the data bridge, now this? 

First back up/format/restore files on HDD #1 went ok. Had a bit of a bobble there, but overall, all ok. Took two days to off load, then reload the data files.

So, this morning I start on drive #2. Hooked it up the same way drive #1 was hooked up, only to see it wasn't showing on Windows Explorer, but was showing up in Device Manager. Checked disk management, and it said the entire drive was unallocated space and it had to be initialized. ARGGGH!  Of course it HAD to be my photography drive that this happened on.

Brief moment of panic.. three deep breaths. Then I remembered I had M3 Raw data recovery. Biting my lip, I fired it up, had it look for partition, and TA DA! there was all the data.  Currently 'recovering' it on another drive.  As it's a recovery/diagnostic tool, it will probably take longer than just copying things over to restore after formatting.

Just for giggles, I did plug in HDD #3, and that one is ok.  I have it safely sequestered to continue the back up/format/restore routine in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment