Thursday, January 20, 2022

Yup, I was right

On November 28, 2020, I posted a rather lengthy blog entry under the title "Canon, you have some 'splainin' to do!" regarding how their new EOS R5 and its' overheating problem when recording video. I even posted link to a video where someone, with a helluva lot more money than I can spare, disassembled the R5, made a water cooling system. Fixed the overheating, but impractical.

Also in the video, he carefully removed the back, removed the ineffectual tiny heat sink, and cleaned off the old thermal paste. He fabricated a larger heat sink that and after a dab of thermal paste, put the new heat sink on, closed up the camera, and TA DA! No more overheating problems.

The reason I type all this out, is I told my hubby that I wouldn't be surprised if Canon, who claimed the EOS R5 was 'future proof' (planned obsolescence) would put out a new version nothing more than a larger heat sink to stop the overheating issue.

Hello new model Canon EOS R5 Cinema!  It's the EOS R5 without the heating problem!

To me, this makes no difference as I am a still photographer, not a videographer.  But if I was someone who bought the EOS R5 with 8K videoing in mind, only to run into the overheating wall, I would politely demand that Canon fix the flaw EOS R5 they already own.

No comments:

Post a Comment