Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sometimes change is necessary

I have been using Version Tracker Pro for several years. But lately, it hasn't been reporting the right versions of drivers and software, even though I do scan to update what I have installed.

You can't get a straight answer from computer manufacturers on what drivers are needed, and even if you do, the downloads tank out with server errors. *sigh*

I installed "The Witcher" and it's good, but I was having video issues, so went searching to find the newest, RIGHT, video drivers. VersionTracker kept failing on the download, and then would error out when I tried to update and rescan installed drivers.

Many bad words born of frustration. I know what version of software I have (nope, don't always see the need to upgrade/update software, unless there is a problem with it that a new version fixes) but I needed definitive identification of drivers. So, I have jumped ship and got Device Detective. Ran it once, it correctly ID'ed all the installed drivers as installed for a Win XP system, and downloaded the appropriate ones. No waisting time with Vista drivers.

Sorry VersionTracker, but you snooze, you lose.



No comments:

Post a Comment