Saturday, December 27, 2008

I love it when webdesigners/admins eat crow

I had been having problems with the MSNBC video site. It happened suddenly, one it all worked fine, the following day, it was broken. I tried it on three different computers in the house, with the same fail results.

So, I email them, asking what the problem was, had they changed who could access it (some sites are US only, but I bypass that using Tor Proxy). I get the typical "your set up is wrong, check flash version, this check that check this click that" even though I had told them "It worked fine on Dec. 4th, I have changed nothing, haven't installed any new software, or hardware. It stopped working on Dec 5th."

Again, I get the "check your flash version etc etc etc." I got fed up with the form letter or outright condescension, and made a video screen capture of my trying to use their site, using both IE (gag!) and Firefox, clearly showing that yes, Flash was loading, and it was the right version, and wasn't working on their site, clicking over to YouTube and other flash sites and it worked fine, and emailed the link to it, along with the "It worked fine on Dec. 4th, I have changed nothing, haven't installed any new software, or hardware. It stopped working on Dec 5th."

It took a few weeks but I got this:

Thank you for writing to MSN Entertainment Technical Support. My name is
Mahen.

I would like to inform you that the problem has been resolved
and the videos are playing now. However, please let us know the result
at your ends.

At my ends? Outsourcing at it's best.

Be that as it may, it was a problem at their side of things, and it got fixed. This is about as close to an "oops, you were right, we were wrong" as I am gonna get, but it's good enough for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment