Thursday, December 25, 2008

Me an animal recue ranger?

Sometimes.

Just went out to get the herbs I need for the turkey, and I spot a dove on the bricks. Not unusual, but when it tried to move away from me, it was wobbly and uncoordinated. I looked at it and saw no injuries, but I did see feathers strewn about. I looked at the bird again, and noticed it was male. I have a funny feeling this poor bugger was on the losing side of a fight with another male dove.

I gathered my herbs, came back into the house and got my gardening gloves. I tried to pick up the bird, and even as loopy as it was, it managed to squirm out of my hands. So, I tried again, with a firmer grip, and got it. I put it in the 'emergency nursery nest' we have rigged up for nestlings that have fallen out, and now I guess for injured birds. The cats can't get to it, and this way it will have a chance to recover from its championship bout.



No comments:

Post a Comment