Saturday, December 20, 2008

Preloaded bloatware..err software

It's annoying. Right now, all I have is 2 gigs of memory on this computer. (I remember when that was a HUGE amount. Ah, how times have changed.) Running McAfee Security Center takes a huge effing chunk of memory. I have been using a different program and have seen no need to stop using it.Not only that, the damned program deleted a file it claimed was a virus, which I knew it wasn't before I stop it.

Luckily for me, I had it archived on a DVD-RW. I had to shut down McShield and quickly open and run the install file before it automatically restarted. Oh, did I forget to mention, even if you disable all of it, the 'real time scanner' won't stay shut down? I searched every forum and archive online on how to disable it, and nothing.

My cure for that was to run task manager, shut it down, and before it restarted, I cut and pasted the exe file to another directory, renamed it McShield.renamed exe.txt., and then put it back into its original directory. Who knows, if or when I get more memory, I might use it, but only if they decide to change it, that when you exit the program, it all exits.



No comments:

Post a Comment