Monday, December 29, 2008

Pet Peeve

Subscription software.

I loathe it. Gone are the days of 'Stand Alone" applications and programs?  Personally, if an older version of something I am using works, I don't want it to expire, especially after paying $39 to $149 USD for it, or not work because there is a NEW AND IMPROVED (which it seldom is) version out there.  I don't see what is wrong with keeping the original program, but just update the data bases like many Anti-virus programs used to do. This time bombing of programs flat out sucks. Yes, I know this is how companies keep raking in their revenues, if all someone wants to do is update a virus list, and not the software engine, they should be allowed to do so.

I am very glad I still have  saved original installation files for certain software, that have now become with the latest update, subscription.  I don't mind going back to the earlier version of System Mechanic. Other than the 'new' feature of an expiration date, I have yet to see a difference between v8 from v7.

Slysoft has also gone the way of subscription. But, luckily for me, the company will only be implementing this subscription method after Dec 31st, 2008. I got their entire line of programs years ago, so I will still get the 'unlimited lifetime updates'.



No comments:

Post a Comment