Thursday, June 11, 2009

There used to be pride in craftsmanship and manufacturing

I had gotten myself an Logitech Alto laptop stand with the cordless keyboard. I really like it. However (you were waiting for that, huh?) I noticed that the letters on the keys were wearing off.



I emailed Logitech explaining even though as I am a touch typist my nails aren't long, the letters were wearing off, and about getting replacement letters to put on the keys.

After convoluted, flowchart answers from the support ('if you want to replace the keyboard, it has to be under warranty', if you take the keys off you void your warranty' to 'I don't understand your request') I was informed that no, they cover worn off letters (I didn't ask for a replacement keyboard) and no, they do have replacement keys (didn't ask for that either) and no they don't have replacement letters to apply to the keys. I did find a company that actually makes replacement letters for the ones worn off the keyboard, and have since ordered them.

I have inspected the keyboard and what I noticed is there is an imprint of the letter on the keys, but the letters themselves are decals that don't even cover the key, and barely cover the stamped letter on the key. It's no wonder they wore off after less than two years.

The old computer I gave to a friend before I moved to Australia had a 5 yr old keyboard, with the letters as crisp and clear as the day I first got it. No decals/stickers, but part of the keys.

I guess it's just another case of planned obsolescence.



No comments:

Post a Comment